Sunday 8 March 2015

An Influential Event

An influential event did not change me intrinsically. In March 2013, I underwent a jaw surgery to correct my jaw alignment. Previously, my face was in a shape of crescent moon, which my friends made fun of me by calling me “moon-face” or “Chang-e” (Chang-e is a character who lives in the moon according to Chinese mythology). I had an underbite, which meant that my lower jaw was protruding outwards, while my upper jaw sunk into my face.

The surgery was considered to be severe as it was longer than 8 hours and the recovery was traumatic, as I could not consume any solid food and survive on a liquid diet (which helped me lose 7kg yay). My cheeks were swollen and it pressed on my facial nerves, resulting in perpetual dull ache. From surgery to being able to consume solid food again took about two and a half months.


This event changed my physical appearance. I can empathise with people who have or had jaws like what I had. The pain from surgery and healing is something one would to have experience in order to really understand. Beauty is pain and I truly agree.

<194 words>

4 comments:

  1. Hi Guo Xiong!

    Here are some comments for you :)

    a. What do you think about the event described?

    Personally, I can somehow relate to you because I had 5 teeth extracted in preparation for braces and I had to go on a liquid diet too. I think that your pain exceeds mine by ten folds as yours is a surgery and requires time to recover.

    b. Does this post strike you as having been written “with heart” or not? How can you justify?

    Yes, of course. This surgery proved to be life-changing for him. He empathises with people who have had similar experiences as him. It is depressing to be made fun of due to physical appearances, which I have had experienced too when I was a fat kid.

    Keep up the good work :)

    Zimin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guo Xiong!

    I am sorry that you had to go through such a terrible phase. Just the thought of having to bear the pain for so long has already made me cringed. It was really commendable that you had managed to pull through!

    This short reflection was something, I feel, was close to you as the experience the pain were described in a personal manner. Something that only you would be able to tell.

    Cheers,
    Asyraf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi GX,

    I can relate to your post to a certain extent as i have been through a phase whereby i have been ostracised and criticised before. Nonetheless, i guess it is what what have been through that shapes us to where we are today. Good to see that you are looking good and more confident the way you are now.

    Description of your pain was well written, good choice of words that makes me feel you. Thus, reinforcing my stand that it is written with your heart.

    Cheers,
    Bert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this very intimate experience, Guo Xiong.

    ReplyDelete