Wednesday 15 April 2015

Critical Reflection



The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback
Feedback and discussion over language use was done both informally and formally. Class and group discussions with group mates over each other’s writings were done in class and online in the form of blog comments. We would discuss about each other’s content and language usage, and give constructive criticism we thought would be useful in helping their essay become more concise and effective.
Formal feedback was given through 1 to 1 conversations and comments from our tutor Brad Blackstone. He would read and analyse our writings and point out mistakes, then explain what the mistake was and suggest changes that could be made. We were then made to edit our writings and post them online on our blog. The rationale for doing this was for us to be able to have a centralised platform where we can clearly see the transition and changes in our writing style.
One of my main issues I had was the use of phrasal verbs. I think and type at the same time, which results in my writing reflecting my speech. As such, phrasal verbs and colloquial terms dot my essays. This issue has been pointed out to me many times by both my classmates and Brad. This has allowed me to be more perceptive of such writing errors and rectify it. I have never thought that phrasal verbs were an issue before this course, but I have realised that the elimination of phrasal verbs would make my writing more effective and coherent, which is always good.
As I was working on my projects and essays from other modules this semester, I realised that I am more critical in picking up mistakes my friends or I have made. I believe I am better able to spot grammatical mistakes and writing errors better now as I read and write. This will allow me to write more effectively in the future. Yay.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the clear, concise reflection, Guo Xiong. You contextualize the place of feedback in ES1102 well, then you explain how one example applied to your own writing. What I would have liked to have heard more about is how you felt about giving feedback yourself. Did that give you any more awareness of what might make for better writing?

    In any case, thank you for your effort throughout the term, and best of luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete